Intel’s first processor was a 4-bit CPU that ran at 750KHz pace and solely accessed as much as 4KB of RAM. So its specs are microscopic in contrast to what’s out there at present even in essentially the most modest PC. Properly, somebody has considered calculating the Pi quantity with an Intel 4004. Which have been the outcomes?
One technique to measure the efficiency of a processor is thru a recurring process of accelerating problem. One instance is cryptography algorithms, however there are different extra traditional and well-known ones, such because the seek for prime numbers or the completely different decimal locations of π. Allow us to keep in mind that it’s a quantity that has an infinite variety of decimal locations and the seek for them is, subsequently, a small problem for any processor. Nevertheless, till now, nobody had been capable of calculate the quantity pí (π) on an Intel 4004.
To attain this, they’ve mounted the veteran processor on an STM32 that they’ve used to simulate the peripherals and have the ability to program it. Let’s not neglect that the Intel 4004 is extra like a microcontroller in operation than a PC CPU. Honor that belongs to the Intel 8080 as the primary, as it’s used on the legendary Altair 8800 from MITS.
How lengthy does it take for the Intel 4004 to calculate the quantity pi (π)?
Properly, the reply to the query is apparent, it takes the identical time as some other processor, since we’re an irrational variety of infinite decimal locations. So the efficiency take a look at or benchmark consists of measuring the pace it takes to know the worth of the following decimal of the everlasting and countless record.
The problem of doing so with one thing so simple as an Intel 4004 means having to beat quite a few key limitations:
- The truth that the instruction set could be very restricted.
- It doesn’t have a floating level unit, as a result of it doesn’t have it, it doesn’t even have the flexibility to multiply numbers.
- Your packages can’t be greater than 4 KB due to its 4 KB handle, however you want an exterior multiplexer to try this, in any other case it stays at 1280 bytes.
- The unit in control of mathematical calculation doesn’t use essentially the most environment friendly logic gateswhich results in it being a lot slower.
- Your clock pace is 750Khz, that’s, 750,000 cycles per second. An Intel Core or an AMD Ryzen of at present?
- It isn’t a processor that helps segmented execution, so it doesn’t carry out a number of phases in several elements of it.
Though the important thing query is the one now we have put because the title of this part and the reply to it’s: 3 hours 31 minutes and 13 seconds to acquire the primary 255 digits of the quantity pi (π) with Intel 4004. For this they’ve used the Double–Stan algorithm, which is predicated on utilizing integer division and avoids the usage of decimals as a way to make it simpler for the extraordinarily restricted first Intel processor. As a comparability, the identical one that has run the take a look at has obtained 25 million digits in a single second with a Xeon.